[OSGeo-Discuss] Comparison of Mobile GIS applications

Bob Basques Bob.Basques at ci.stpaul.mn.us
Wed Jun 2 14:47:14 PDT 2010

Milo,

You don't need to convince me on the Open side of things, it's why I chose to try out the Nokia.  I'm actually going to buy 3 more of them, if all goes as planned, mostly for prototyping and such to build support for follow on work.

bobb

>>> miblon <moblin at dogodigi.net> wrote:

Hello Bob!

I started out using moblin as my "en route" OS of choice. On my asus
1005HA eee pc, it turned out to be the fastest, easiest to use (even on
bumpy rides) and flexible enough. I managed to connect moblin via
bluetooth to my gps and to my mobile phone. I use my mobile phone as 3G
modem. Then I started using it for openstreetmap work by getting osm2go up.

My goal is to get meego up to the same task: an excelent mobile solution
for communication and (lightweight) geodata collection. Besides that I
am waiting for the nokia device that will follow up on the N900, rumours
has it will be called the N9, but those rumours haven't been confirmed
by nokia.

Why meego and not android? Because I am always looking at alternative
products that will prevent single parties to become dominant. This has
nothing to do with reason, it is purely out of ideology ;-)

I am now running the 1.0 release and believe it or not, it is a small
step down from moblin 2.1. Although it boots faster, the interface looks
like a candystore and not all components have a synced look and feel.
Chromium for instance is not integrated in the panels as much as the
moblin browser was, and some apps suddenly have gray window decoration
while others have black. With moblin I would have people ooh and aah
when I did a business presentation with it, meego with its "OS for kids"
look has to stay in the box a little while longer.

For me meego == choice. I don't intend my eee pc it to be a desktop
replacer, I cannot imagine myself programming on 1024x600 resolution.
But it is my companion on the road and since I travel by train a lot,
the best companion I had so far with almost 8h of battery power. And
even for business meetings, I don't need to bring a heavy 15" or more
anymore. The eee will do perfect and run like a charm