[OSGeo-Discuss] 5 Star OSGeo project maturity rating

Howard Butler hobu.inc at gmail.com
Mon Jun 7 09:18:40 PDT 2010

On Jun 7, 2010, at 11:03 AM, Bob Basques wrote:

> Wouldn't it seem prudent to classify the projects before trying to compare them?

/me screams into a room that no one can hear.  Stop it!

This whole exercise is quite frankly, masturbatory, and does nothing to help the projects who would be rated, provides very little to those "users" of said ratings, and calls into question our credibility by having the arrogance to rate *our own* projects in any way.  OSGeo is doing enough by providing visibility for the projects, and it is up to them to pull them in as users with the quality of their software, the quality of their documentation, and the quality of their community.  A silly sticker by us or anyone else isn't going to sway that process in any way.

It would be more valuable to collate a series of "elevator pitch"-type material from each project who wishes to participate to make their case to the envisioned users of this rating.  Projects who do not participate in this for whatever reason implicitly make a statement about their quality. That's going to be far more useful to both the projects and the users than an elongating graphic.

Howard