[OSGeo-Discuss] 5 Star OSGeo project maturity rating

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Mon Jun 7 15:57:01 PDT 2010

There have been some passionate views against rating projects.

Maybe I should start by explaining the drivers which led to the proposal
for a 5 star rating.

Previously only OSGeo graduated and incubation projects were promoted by
OSGeo at conferences and the like, however, with the OSGeo LiveDVD, we
are packaging and hence promoting many non-graduated projects. How do we
credit that a project has gone through the extensive graduation process
in our marketing material in a manner that will be understood by the
target audience?

Unfortunately, putting "OSGeo Graduated" against a project is
meaningless because the target audience usually hasn't heard of OSGeo
and is even less likely to know what "Graduated" means.

We could write a paragrah explaining what OSGeo and Graduation are on
each Project Overview flier, but that wastes valuable marketing real-estate.

Note: I'm basing our target audience on the typical profile of people
who drop by the OSGeo booth at conferences. They pick up a LiveDVD and
fliers which have "Open Source" on the cover. They are typically GIS
users, have heard of Open Source and want to know what Open Source
packages are available to replace their existing XXXX, but usually
haven't heard of OSGeo and almost certainly don't know about the
graduation process. They want to know about the best 2 or 3 packakges
they should consider, and they definitely don't want to have to trawl
through 350 software packages on http://freegis.org . They spend 5 to 20
minutes talking at the OSGeo stand, then walk onto the other 50
exhibition booths at the conference.
Visitors to the OSGeo website are probably similar in profile, but we
don't get such a good opportunity to meet them face to face as we do at
conferences.

So the challenge is:
* How do we credit OSGeo Graduated projects in a manner understandable
to GIS users new to Open Source?
* How can we credit other stable Open Source projects, while still
acknowledging the extra kudos of passing graduation?
* How can we provide this message distinctly on marketing material so
that it doesn't waste valuable marketing real-estate?

On 08/06/10 02:30, Michael P. Gerlek wrote:

> [foolishly stepping in where I should fear to tread...]
>
> This has been asked for before, but historically some projects have
> not step up to the plate for providing such materials -- for a variety
> of reasons, some good and some not so good.
>
> OSGeo should simply put a link to the project's "marketing" section,
> and if the project owners provide content on the other end, then good
> -- if not, then so be it.
>
> I'm all about providing quality user experiences, but anything more
> than that is likely not worth the effort required.  Our users are, for
> the most part, a very savvy and discriminating bunch.  And for apps
> that are explicitly targeting users outside of the normal open source
> types, it should be up to them to provide the "marketing" materials
> they deem appropriate.
>
> -mpg

Cameron Shorter
Geospatial Director