[OSGeo-Discuss] 5 Star OSGeo project maturity rating [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

P Kishor punk.kish at gmail.com
Tue Jun 8 17:40:28 PDT 2010

On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 7:03 PM, Bruce Bannerman <B.Bannerman at bom.gov.au> wrote:
> Cameron,
>
> Well stated.
>
> As an organisation that is implementing Open Source spatial, we are looking
> to applications that have graduated from OSGeo Incubation as an indication
> of quality.
>
> If this is not the case, as has been indicated in this thread, then IMHO, we
> as OSGeo need to devise an approach that will allow organisations to select
> quality applications for deployment.
>
> The last thing that anyone wants is for a major player to implement a poor
> quality application and have problems with the bad publicity that would
> follow.
>
> We cannot expect that knowledgeable OS Spatial people will always be doing
> product selection. This is often a function assigned to an IT group through
> Enterprise IT Governance processes. The people doing the selection, may or
> may not have appropriate skills and experience.

Due diligence, caveat emptor and all. If the people doing selection
don't have appropriate skills and experience, then those people should
be replaced with people who have the appropriate skills and experience
to do the selection. Makes me shudder to think that not only might we
have inexperienced and inappropriate people at the helm, we are
willing to accept them there instead of changing them.

Puneet Kishor http://www.punkish.org
Carbon Model http://carbonmodel.org