[OSGeo-Discuss] Anyone know of a FOSS GIS solution to creating terrain profiles from contours lines or an elevation raster (DEM)?

Simon Cropper scropper at botanicusaustralia.com.au
Tue Jun 8 19:44:16 PDT 2010

Hi,

I want to create a terrain profile along a particular transect for a project I
am working on. I have contours and have created a raster file showing elevation
data.

I was wondering if someone knew of a program that I could visualise the
contour data, draw a line over this, and have a 'plan' view of the profile
created. I want to show the profile of two types of creek systems in a area I
am working -- one is a broad (200-300m) 'U' shaped creek bed, while the other
an ephemeral creek that has hardly made a scratch on the terrain (1-10m
width).

I could print the map with a scale, use a ruler and transfer the data to a
graph paper -- but we are over this aren't we? I retired my colour pencils,
scale rulers, spline, curves, compasses, etcetera years ago!

I have searched actively and looked at gvSIG, OpenJUMP, SAGA, Sextante, QGIS
but nothing is obvious. SAGA looks promising but it requires a 'grid based
DEM'.

Is this simply an issue of trying to use one tool (GIS) to do everything, and
really I should be looking at other tools (CAD). If so can someone point me to
a FOSS solution.

--
Cheer Simon

	Simon Cropper