[OSGeo-Discuss] 5 Star OSGeo project maturity rating

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Thu Jun 10 16:58:17 PDT 2010

Your comments on specific logos for specific items is good; and amounts to a very light feature comparison.

GeoTools ran into the limits of our own 5 star system; we ended up needing a different set of "stars" depending on the the kind of module being described.
The "limit" was when we entered the incubation process and needed to verify that a module had passed its IP check. This introduced a strict pass/fail into what was formally a reflection of quality.
- http://docs.codehaus.org/display/GEOT/Gold+Star+Quality+Assurance+Check

> (Along those lines, I'd also ask precisely what "ready to start" incubation means...)

Nothing ... the incubation process is there to help projects. It is graduation that says something about a project (and mostly about a projects organisation).

Jody