[OSGeo-Discuss] Getting a .kmz into GIS

Tim Waters chippy2005 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 14 06:29:45 PDT 2010

Hi Ezra,

looking inside the kmz file,
http://www.cstars.miami.edu/media/20100613_Envisat_PM.kmz

It appears that the image is actually a PNG file. The kml file
references this as a groundOverlay with bounds: for example:
<north>32.4216794699724</north>
<south>23.59737906433506</south>
<east>-84.32169599536186</east>
<west>-90.33200805674051</west>

Using this information it should be possible to view it in most GIS
systems, or at least to convert it to a GeoTIFF using GDAL perhaps.

Hope this helps!

Tim