[OSGeo-Discuss] Re: land records management with open source GIS

P Kishor punk.kish at gmail.com
Mon Jun 21 22:12:43 PDT 2010

Hi all,

Thanks for replying, everyone. Instead of replying to each one of you
separately, I am replying to myself, primarily to add more info to
this query.

On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 12:24 AM, P Kishor <punk.kish at gmail.com> wrote:
> does anyone know of an existing product, or a firm that develops such
> a product catering to cadastral and land records management, but using
> a completely open source stack?

A friend of mine is working in a SA country that has a new policy that
all software at the national level must be non-commercial open source.
A nice idea, but it plays havoc with their current cadastral and
registry records management system running on a commercial,
closed-source (well known) software platform. They now want to expand
from a few municipality pilot to 10 times as many munis, and to
eventually cover the entire country in the next decade. Their desire
is to try replicate the current system using open source software.

They have an estimate for the programming job, primarily based on the
amount spent on programming the current system (not including the
licenses for the base, commercial software). Their hope is to spend a
similar amount programming an open source solution that can be
replicated in the 200 or so munis without any additional cost for the
software licenses.

They have seen at least one other open source cadastral system
implemented in a country in Africa, but found that system to be very
weak, amateurish.

--
Puneet Kishor http://www.punkish.org
Carbon Model http://carbonmodel.org