[OSGeo-Discuss] Re: land records management with open source GIS

Geoff Hay geoffrey.hay at otago.ac.nz
Tue Jun 22 19:39:51 PDT 2010

Hi
I am working on an OSCAR implementation as part of my PhD study at Otago University in NZ[1]. This project started with initial funding from the FAO. Given the vagaries of the land administration domain, some approaches are heading down the path of simplification and harmonisation especially for the thematic data (parcel ownership etc) e.g.[2].  I am investigating the use of OWL (W3C) to allow variation in the 'schema' and 'process' to reduce the 'cost' of adaption and modification of software.  I hope to be able to provide some OS components soon for others to look at, but the work isn't quite ready for this as yet. We do have a wiki for the initial project (https://source.otago.ac.nz/oscar/OSCAR_Home). This hasn't been maintained during the past year or so, but we are working towards adding to to the content and making updated code available for download.
[1]www.fig.net/pub/fig2010/papers/ts04a5Cts04a_hay_hall_4519.pdf
[2]www.fig.net/pub/fig2009/papers/ts06a/ts06a_lemmen_oosterom_etal_3282.pdf
regards
Geoff Hay