[OSGeo-Discuss] Re: Whitebox GAT (Chris Puttick)

John Lindsay jlindsay at uoguelph.ca
Fri Mar 26 07:18:16 PDT 2010

Hi Chris,

Thank you for your feedback. I think, however, you might be staring a gift horse in the mouth. I write software primarily because I need it and am happy to share it with others. For me, open-source is about sharing ideas, innovating, and improving education. I'm fortunate that I don't need to rely on my programming to make money. Like most computer users, I use Windows and .NET is the framework that we have. It's an excellent framework, despite what some may think of the company that developed it. I understand that many people chose other operating systems (and good for them!) but I'm also aware that the Mono framework allows for the possibility of running Whitebox GAT on Linux/Mac. There are currently people working on porting Whitebox over using Mono. I suspect, however, that there are some out there who would still not be pleased with the use of Mono as a framework. The fact of the matter is that not everybody will be happy all of the time. If this isn't the solution that suits you, I'm sure there are others that are more suited. And that's fine by me. It's just nice that people out there are working hard every day to ensure that you have choices, isn't it?

--
John Lindsay, Ph.D., Assistant Professor
Dept. of Geography, Univ. of Guelph
Email:  jlindsay at uoguelph.ca
Department Web: www.uoguelph.ca/geography/
Personal Web: http://www.uoguelph.ca/geography/people/faculty/lindsay.shtml