[OSGeo-Discuss] Re: Whitebox GAT (Chris Puttick)

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at crschmidt.net
Fri Mar 26 09:30:17 PDT 2010

On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 04:03:52PM +0000, Chris Puttick wrote:
> Please understand I am in no way criticising your software, which
> sounds of interest although out of reach for me. I am also highly
> appreciative of the work you and others like you put into developing
> solutions which you then share with others and I do what I can to
> contribute too. I am just hoping to persuade you and others that .net
> has far more bad points than good and to consider using a different
> software development framework/tools in the future.

"I like your software, I just wish you hadn't written it the way you
did. You should have written it the way I would have instead."

This kind of argument is why I choose the "Open Source" moniker for my
work instead of the "Free Software" moniker. Many people are willing to
work and open source their work -- continuing to criticize someone for
the way they chose to do that goes beyond simply expressing an opinion,
and directly in to "rude."

I don't think anyone here is confused or uninformed about the status of
.Net or the technologies around it.

> I guess it is a matter of perspective. I want to have the widest set
> of choices professionally and personally want the largest number of
> choices to be available for others.

That's a reasonable desire, but not a reasonable desire to force on
someone who wants to develop software (unless you're paying them).
Discouraging someone taking steps towards releasing open source software
because you don't agree with the design/development choices they made
isn't appropriate, in my opinion, in an open source software discussion
forum.

Regards,
--
Christopher Schmidt