[OSGeo-Discuss] Re: fastest option of serving huge imagery on web map on the fly

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at crschmidt.net
Sat May 22 05:00:15 PDT 2010

On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 06:24:26PM -0300, Fabio Renzo Panettieri wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-05-21 at 13:17 -0700, Karsten-3-2 wrote:
> > Yes. What I want to do is simply to find out the fastest options to render on
> > the fly from raw data imagery
> > (no tiles whatsoever  stored on disk in addition to the raw data ). I will
> > check out what SpatialCache is...

>From raw aerial imagery:
 1. Store everything as uncompressed tiffs.
 2. Make images as large as possible. (This probably requires BigTIFF support.)
 3. Use overviews -- usually one for every power-of-two level from the base
    image up to the point where you have 256 x 256 overviews
    (gdaladdo)
 4. If you have too many images to make one large image practical, create
    one reduced size image that you use at lower zoom levels.

All of this is based around serving with MapServer. I have no experience
using other imagery servers to solve this problem.

Regards,
--
Christopher Schmidt
Web Developer