[OSGeo-Discuss] Bug report response time

maning sambale emmanuel.sambale at gmail.com
Thu Nov 11 07:01:38 EST 2010

IMO, listing bugs vis-a-vis response time can be counter-productive.
Generally, we have more bugs than being squashed because a lot of
people are reporting them (which is a good thing btw).

I prefer concrete examples when highlighting bug response time.  For
example, during one of our training, a participant noticed a simple
bug in QGIS.  I promised to report them to the devs which was fixed in
less than 24 hours.

Come next training, I shared the incident to other participants. With
an encouragement that if they can find some bug during the workshop,
we will then report it to the devs this way they already contributed
to the open source community.  Works for me.

On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 6:49 PM, Jody Garnett <jody.garnett at gmail.com> wrote:
> Just to put myself on the line ...
>
> For GeoTools the bug tracker is here:
> - http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GEOT
>
> The initial page shows the current open vs close rate.
>
> If you click on "Reports" you can get a "resolution time" report; you
> will need to sign in first.
>
> Jody
>
> On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 8:47 PM, Jody Garnett <jody.garnett at gmail.com> wrote:
>> You can often export the bug database out into excel for analysis. You
>> may need to play with the results to focus on problem reporting.
>>
>> Why? Often open source projects end up with "wish list" bugs that do
>> not fall within anyone's funding or mandate.
>>
>> Personally I would love to see the difference not between open source
>> and proprietary software - as I think that sells us short (we are more
>> amazing than that!).
>>
>> The true test would be the track record for paying customers - getting
>> a bug fixed with an open source product vs a proprietary product.
>> Since a common open source model is to pay for support; it would be
>> great to show the amazing service provided.
>>
>> Now that *would* be an impressive difference.
>>
>> Jody
>>
>> On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 7:43 PM, Sjur Kolberg <Sjur.A.Kolberg at sintef.no> wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Is there any mechanism in the bug tracking systems being used, that can
>>> export the distribution (histogram or mean) of time taken from a bug report
>>> is filed to it is declared successfully closed?
>>>
>>> I guess I could figure that out manually by reading through all tickets;
>>> that is probably not going to happen...
>>>

>>> I am trying to convince people that open source GIS is a better solution
>>> than buying proprietary software. Such discussions follow a well-known path
>>> (is it mature/stable? How about support? All our clients use XXXX..., Nice
>>> for programmers, but...) etc. Conclusions precede arguments, and some hard
>>> numbers could be of great help in all the religion.
>>>

>>> Best regards,
>>>
>>> Sjur K :-)

cheers,
maning