[OSGeo-Discuss] offline maps

P Kishor punk.kish at gmail.com
Tue Nov 9 09:05:29 PST 2010

On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 10:59 AM, carlos sousa <springaleek at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello and thanks for your help, but thats kinda blunt, throw
> everything into the laptop and call it bigfatmaprepository. Is it
> possible to detail a bit the software used and what kind of rasters
> there are in the repository.

I thought I listed all the software I use.

All my data are in either PostGIS/PostGres, or as files. I use
shapefiles, geotiffs, regular images (gifs and pngs). I also have data
in raw binary format that I manipulate with PDL (Perl Data Language, a
scientific programming extension to Perl, kinda like IDL but free and
open source). PDL allows me to query the raw binary data and also
NetCDF data, and convert to images on the fly.

The data served by a combination of Apache/MapServer.

The browse client is coded in Perl (Perl Dancer and DBI), JavaScript
(jQuery and OpenLayers) and CSS.

I also use QGIS or uDig. The latter is more attractive, the former is
more capable.

Everything I need to use my data is on my laptop.

I can disconnect Ethernet, turn off Airport, and happily see all my data.