[OSGeo-Discuss] RE: Representing Places With Intelligent URLs

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at crschmidt.net
Tue Oct 5 17:39:22 PDT 2010

On Tue, Oct 05, 2010 at 05:18:47PM -0700, Paul Ramsey wrote:
> "All attempts to construct simple ontologies end up reinventing RDF" .. ?

That was actually my first thought when I saw this: "Hey look,
someone else reinventing RDFa!" :)

Seriously, I say this with a bit of knowledge; I mean, after all,
I sort of work on making places searchable on maps. For a company
with a pretty big set of data about the hierarchy of the world.
It's a lot fuzzier than you think :)

Also, Landon, I do highly recommend looking into RDF -- specifically,
RDFa -- because I think it's heading in a very similar direction to
what you're describing, without the need for some all-world-hierarchy
to tie it to, which might actually help you get a bit further.

-- Chris

> On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 5:12 PM, Christopher Schmidt
> <crschmidt at crschmidt.net> wrote:
>
> > How about the fact that although some counties contain cities,
> > some cities exist over the border between multiple counties, and
> > other counties are *contained* by cities? (Queens, Manhattan, etc.)
> >
> > How about http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dysart_et_al,_Ontario?
> >
> > Any effort to turn the real world into a standard hierarchy
> > will fail, because the world is Fuzzier than you realize.
> >
> > -- Chris

Christopher Schmidt
Web Developer