[OSGeo-Discuss] RE: Representing Places With Intelligent URLs

Bob Basques bob.b at gritechnologies.com
Tue Oct 5 18:58:01 PDT 2010

  All,

I'm a long time address database creation/maintenance/re-creation fiend myself.

I've also been working with the USNG (MGRS) gridding system the last few years, and need to at least suggest the idea of
using a Gridding system to locate things.  This idea is not nbew, but USNG usage has gained quite a bit of ground the
last couple of years across all level of government, with a large emphasis placed on using it for disaster response.

Tying a placeName to a grid location that can describe things down to the centimeter if needed and still stay unique as
a location is a very good thing.

bobb