[OSGeo-Discuss] RE: New and Noteworthy in OS Geospatial?

John Callahan john.callahan at udel.edu
Wed Sep 1 18:30:57 PDT 2010

You may be familiar with the United States Geological Survey (USGS) National
Geologic Map Database (NGMDB) map portal.  I believe it was released last
fall (2009) and uses OpenLayers, kamap, WMS services. etc...  (not sure of
the mapping engine.)  It's a very dynamic system.

http://maps.ngmdb.us/dataviewer/

Here is some text from en email I received at the time it was released:

******************************
The development of a Web-mapping system to deliver compelling and  useful
images of geologic maps, and the data behind them, is a difficult task, as
you well know.  I'm pleased to notify you that the  NGMDB Data Portal,
collaboratively developed by AASG and USGS, is (finally) publicly available.

In the long-term, this Portal is intended to give users a quick,
integrated, browse-and-query "glimpse" of map data published by many
agencies, and to direct them to the source information.  Like the NGMDB Map
Catalog, it's another way for people to find your maps.  It helps people
find publications, but in a more visual way, and gives
them an overview of a region's geology

Portal features include:
-  National-scale bedrock and surficial maps, and four state-scale maps,
-  a Dynamic Legend that shows only the map units within the field of view,
-  a new Geologic Materials classification, designed to help the layman by
bringing these maps into a unified view, using simple terms and definitions,
-  a simplified back-end database whose design and science terminologies are
related to the new "NCGMP09" design,
-  integration with other NGMDB databases (Map Catalog and Geolex) that
provides users with information about the geologic units and source maps,
and
-  links to the source maps and related Web-mapping systems, in the state
geological surveys.

A similar international effort is ONE Geology.  I believe its map portal is
OpenLayers, the metadata catalog is GeoNetwork, etc...

http://www.onegeology.org/
http://portal.onegeology.org/

Hope this helps.

- John

John Callahan, Geographic Information Scientist
Delaware Geological Survey, University of Delaware