[OSGeo-Discuss] Re: Discuss Digest, Vol 45, Issue 21

Jo Walsh jo at frot.org
Sun Sep 12 11:24:06 PDT 2010

Collecting some thoughts...

On 12/09/2010 17:00, discuss-request at lists.osgeo.org wrote:
> OSGeo-women has been created as a chapter, similar to local chapters.
 > The final aim is to promote participation of women in OSGeo
>> groupings, like most others, are entirely artificial

I signed up, despite some misgivings which i outlined here:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Talk:Women_Chapter#Thoughts_about_this_sort_of_thing

In essence, "That the root causes are not about women but about all of
us, and not about software but about society..."

> Where to, OSGeo?
> members and partners in the broad sense can give money...
> new revenue stream from events or other new products.
 > How much OSGeo should care and work for FOS data, FOS education
 > OSGeo should encourage going beyond the baseline,
 > but that should not be in its main mission.

I had a ramble at the board list on vaguely this topic:
http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/board/2010-September/003566.html

In essence, cross-subsidy of time commitment with other organisations
who do have a more focused mission about different related subjects
(geodata and foss4g in education, or open standards and open government)

love,

jo