[OSGeo-Discuss] Re: "git" like for geodata management [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Bruce Bannerman B.Bannerman at bom.gov.au
Thu Sep 23 16:40:45 PDT 2010

Ragi,

I agree. I think that we have a way to go yet to have something comparable to the ArcSDE / ArcGIS Multi-versioning and version conflict detection functionality.

The advantage that the ArcSDE solution has is that edits are made directly within the database. This works well within an Enterprise environment as described by Fabio earlier in this thread.

I may be wrong, but I think that git works on files, but I haven't used it myself. Can git detect changes to the spatial representation of a feature within a binary file?

Also, speaking as someone who implemented an ArcSDE/ArcGIS Multi-versioned edit scenario several years ago, the ESRI solution is far from perfect. It imposes very strict environment management on the system managers, e.g.:

 *   All versions of the software used (client and server) must be at precisely the same version, service pack and patch;
 *   The environment can only use software that implements the ArcObjects environment (from experience, this rules out the use of the ArcSDE Java and C API's);
 *   Editors must be well trained and knowledgeable in using both ArcGIS and Multi-versioned processes;
 *   The Organisation needs to think through their maintenance processes to get best advantage of the functionality; and
 *   It doesn't remove the need for data maintenance people to talk to each other about work that is going on, as the software cannot resolve all conflicts. For example, if two editors make changes to the spatial representation of a feature, which one is correct? The software will detect the conflict, but the editors (or their managers) will need to resolve the issue of which version of the feature's spatial representation is correct.

Bruce