[OSGeo-Discuss] online open source polygon mapping, like OSM?

Nitin Gadia nittyjee at gmail.com
Tue Aug 2 14:57:03 PDT 2011

I just had a good conversation with Tyler Mitchell at OSGeo.

I am going to dive in and set up a server with openlayers and try different
tools for the server layer.

What I need is something that deals well with WFS-T and WMS-T.
WFS-T is for adding and editing features, and WMS-T is for requesting maps
with a time component.

Noli Sicad above gave a great overview article about WMS-T, which mapserver
has developed and geoserver is working on:
http://underdark.wordpress.com/2011/06/10/wms-t-support-in-geoserver-and-mapserver/

I am going to do some research into WFS-T.
Any thoughts?

Looks like geoserver and mapserver handle that, as well as geomajas,
deegree, mapfish, and others.

I'm going to dive right in and set up both mapserver (perhaps using
geomoose) and geoserver\
I'll be needing help setting it all up, so I'll probably be asking the
individual mailing lists for help with that along the way.

... and by the way, there's a good chance I will attend FOSS4G, perhaps I
can talk to people there and attend a related workshop.

Any thoughts about what components should be used, and the advantages and
disadvantages of each?

Nitin