[OSGeo-Discuss] Nominating Mark Lucas

Tyler Mitchell tmitchell at osgeo.org
Thu Aug 4 14:43:34 PDT 2011

I nominate Mark Lucas for the OSGeo Board of Directors.  With over 25 years experience in the geospatial and remote sensing fields, he has lots to offer, especially his enthusiasm for OSGeo and helping teams work together.  He works as Principal Scientist for http://www.radiantblue.com/ where OSSIM and open source geospatial are an increasingly important component.

Mark is no stranger to both OSGeo and the Board, having helped found OSGeo at the first meeting and serving a term as a Director early in the life of the organisation.  He oversees the OSSIM project and actively helps integrate open source within government.  His  perspective on gov't systems and open source adoption is the clearest pictures we can get.  He has been crucial in writing reports and recommendations that have led to further adoption of open source within the U.S. defense and intelligence sector.  His involvement in the geospatial business sphere provides good insight into where the industry is heading and how OSGeo can help encourage further uptake of our projects.  I've spent enjoyable hours brainstorming with and working alongside Mark and think he is an excellent fit to help for another term on the Board.  He also works with the Open Source Software Institute and more.  I'm sure his skills at  coordinating the launch of Titan rockets will help propel OSGeo forward too!

His profile on linkedin.com includes many telling recommendations, including Gary's encouraging comment about his previous term:

"Mark showed a capacity for collaboration and creating an environment for it with the founding of OSGeo that was crucial to getting the foundation running. He was one of the most active people involved, and without his positive energy we would not have accomplished as much as a team in creating that groundbreaking organization."

His nomination from 2006 holds true today: http://www.osgeo.org/pipermail/discuss/2006-March/000205.html