[OSGeo-Discuss] Board Nomination - Andrew Ross
dmcilhagga at dmsolutions.ca
Thu Aug 4 20:02:43 PDT 2011
I would like to nominate Andrew Ross for a position on the OSGeo Board.
Andrew brings a balanced mix of valuable technical and business skills which make him a great choice to become an OSGeo board member. His experience spans private, public, and academic organizations. He has been involved with OSGeo for five years, and has been a charter member of OSGeo for the past 3 years. In this time he has demonstrated considerable commitment to OSGeo, its projects, and organizations in the OSGeo ecosystem.
This list represents some of Andrew's experience and qualifications and experience relevant to his nomination:
- Founder of FOSSLC (http://fosslc.org) - a non-profit organization dedicated to education and business development with open source technologies
- Director of Ecosystems at the Eclipse Foundation
- Ingres' Director of Engineering (& Geospatial Technology)
- The development team at Ingres under his leadership contributed to OSGeo projects including GEOS, GDAL/OGR, Proj.4, and others.
- He arranged considerable financial support for OSGeo from Ingres, both direct (cash & code contributions) and indirect (contracting people to make contributions to OSGeo projects).
- Project founder, committer/architect for the open source video recording & streaming suite called Freeseer
- Organized multiple OSGeo related events including Geocamp 2008, Summercamp 2009, and a number of bootcamps.
- Organized teams to record videos for past OSGeo events including FOSS4G2009, Rendez-Vous OSGeo Quebec, and more.
- Mentor for dozens of programming interns as part of the Google Summer of Code, Talent First Network, UCOSP, and other student programs.
- Teaching Programming using open source technologies at Carleton University since 2006
- 7 years experience as an architect and software developer at Nortel creating carrier grade products and services based on open source code
- Very active member of the Ottawa OSGeo Chapter
In addition to his considerable personal experience, Andrew's work with the Eclipse Foundation, FOSSLC, and other organizations provides access to an enormous amount of experience, specialized skills, and a wealth of contacts. His addition to the board would create even more opportunities for technology sharing/development and valuable business development.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Discuss