[OSGeo-Discuss] Candidate's Thoughts on OSGeo

Tyler Mitchell tmitchell at osgeo.org
Tue Aug 9 14:30:44 PDT 2011

On 2011-08-09, at 12:56 AM, Markus Neteler wrote:
> Charter members should carefully consider whom to vote - the board
> should be ....

We probably each have our own list of the most important things to consider,
so I share mine as well. :)  My votes will be less influenced by global
coverage or software experience - the membership and project teams certainly
covers those off very well in day-to-day work on the ground.

Instead, speaking pragmatically, I am more focused on the skills, experience and
interest needed to help run a growing international organisation.  What those
skills are may be open to debate, but for me: building partnerships, raising funds,
extending our reach, supporting members/chapters, working with business, etc.
Diversity and technical skills certainly help, but they are no guarantee for success
when challenges come.

Thankfully our excellent list of candidates is ripe with these skills and I'm glad,
because I believe there are unique business challenges before the board over
the next couple years.

My two cents...

Best wishes,
Tyler