[OSGeo-Discuss] 30m SRTM worldwide?

Sam Vekemans acrosscanadatrails at gmail.com
Mon Aug 22 02:22:05 PDT 2011

Hi everyone,
I can create a transparent overlay for Garmin Map (IMG files), of the
entire planet for these SRTM contour lines.
I can use the grid of .1x.1degree tiles.
If their is any use for having this map, on a global-scale, please let
me know, i i can create it.

I could also upload this data in the .osm file format to the commonmap
development API, so then it can be downloads easily.
.... if there is a demand, an API can be created to host this specifically.

Thanks,
Sam

On 8/22/11, maning sambale <emmanuel.sambale at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear Sylvain,
>
> The USGS site, provides ~30m SRTM only for the US.  I'm looking the
> 30m worldwide coverage. That was mentioned in the link I provided.
>

> On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 4:59 PM, Sylvain Maillard
> <sylvain.maillard at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> you can also download them from the earthexplorer ui from the USGS
>> (http://earthexplorer.usgs.gov)
>> more informations on
>> http://eros.usgs.gov/#/Find_Data/Products_and_Data_Available/SRTM
>>

>> cheers,
>> Sylvain
>>

>> 2011/8/22 maning sambale <emmanuel.sambale at gmail.com>
>>>
>>> I got this news recently, from this website, one can download ~30m SRTM
>>> data:
>>> http://eoweb.dlr.de:8080/index.html
>>>
>>> "The X-band SRTM DEM data are provided in DTED format. Detailed
>>> information on the DTED format
>>> can be found in the document 'Product Description of the SRTM
>>> DTED-Format' (SRTM/PD-03/11/03)
>>> available at http://www.dlr.de/srtm/docs/SRTM-XSAR-DEM-DTED-1.1.pdf.
>>>
>>> The DEM and HEM data are in geographic (Lat/Long) projection, datum
>>> WGS84. The elevation values
>>> are also WGS84, as specified in the product description of the SRTM
>>> DTED-format.
>>>
>>> The DEMs inside the compressed archive are distributed as individual
>>> files, i.e. they are not
>>> mosaicked into one large DEM file. Each DEM covers an area of 15' by
>>> 15'. The filename of the
>>> individual DEM file specifies the bottom left coordinate of the
>>> corresponding 15' by 15' DEM tile.
>>>
>>> One pixel of the DEM files corresponds to approximately 25 m x 25 m on
>>> the ground. The elevation
>>> values are provided at a resolution of 1 m. The horizontal accuracy of
>>> the SRTM X-band DEMs is ±20
>>> m (abs.) / ±15 m (rel.), both 90% CE. The vertical accuracy is ±16 m
>>> (abs.) / ±6 m (rel.), both 90% LE.
>>> Precise information on vertical and horizontal accuracies for
>>> individual tiles can be found in the
>>> accuracy description record (ACC) of the DTED file. "
>>>
>>> I tried to access the public portal, but I just got the "Loading java
>>> virtual machine" message.
>>> Anyone here, who can access the data and is it really available to the
>>> public?
>>>
>>> --
>>> cheers,
>>> maning

> cheers,
> maning

---
Across Canada Trails - Beyond 2017 - The National Trails Network
Victoria, BC Canada

Twitter: @Acrosscanada
Blog: http://acrosscanadatrails.posterous.com/
Skype: 'Sam Vekemans'

Member, CommonMap Inc.  http://commonmap.org/
IRC: irc://irc.oftc.net #CommonMap
Also find us on Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn