[OSGeo-Discuss] Total Open Station 0.3 released!

Stefano Costa steko at iosa.it
Fri Dec 2 10:52:51 PST 2011

Il giorno Sat, 03/12/2011 alle 05.37 +1100, Cameron Shorter ha scritto:

Cameron,

> Do you think that TOPS is ready for inclusion in OSGeo-Live yet?
> http://live.osgeo.org

thanks for asking, but to be honest I don't think it's ready yet.

> It certainly fills a gap in the Geospatial Open Source stack, and
> would be a good candidate.

That I know. And it always strikes me that no one ever developed
anything like TOPS before we did.

> My main query is whether you consider TOPS to be "an established
> project with very stable releases".
> (We usually look for projects with a release number >= 1.0)

On one hand, the basic functionality is pretty much unchanged since 2
years now, and it works.

On the other hand: user base is too small (< 10 I would say), we really
want to support more formats that are widespread (e.g. Leica GSI is in
our TODO), and giving users a better interface than the current one.

The first aim of this release was to freeze the current working codebase
and try to gather a community of users around it. If this will work,
TOPS will grow for sure into a more mature piece of software.

Maybe 0.4 will be mature enough for inclusion (despite the 0.x). I will
try to publish regular updates here given the interest.

Thanks, ciao
steko