[OSGeo-Discuss] Proj4 texts in spatialreference.org missing +towgs84=0, 0, 0

Ari Jolma ari.jolma at gmail.com
Tue Jul 5 05:47:59 PDT 2011

Folks,

spatialreference.org (which is a great service) reports the proj4 text
for for example 3067 without the towgs84 parameters when they are all
zeros. IMHO they should be reported as proj4 nowadays requires them to
work correctly. The proj4 epsg file contains them. The zeros are needed
also in the proj4text field of spatial_ref_sys table of PostGIS.

Omitting towgs parameters (even when they are zeros) causes confusion.
See for example

http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gis.postgis/24549 (the comment
"This is bewildering. I found this by mere chance").

and I also experienced the same today with PostGIS converting from 2393
to 3067.

Best regards,

Ari Jolma