[OSGeo-Discuss] format for raster data distribution, JP2?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Jul 15 13:00:43 PDT 2011

John,

I agree with Michael.  JPEG2000 as a distribution format is
going to be problematic for many users.   TIFF+JPEG is
pretty universal.  I would add that YCbCr mode jpeg imagery
in TIFF can be quite a bit better quality for size than RGB
imagery.  In some cases special writing options are needed to
produce this and their can be some compatibility issues.

I would love to reach a day when JPEG2000-in-TIFF was
a good option and was supported effectively (if a wee bit
slowly) by open SDK like OpenJPEG.  I may well take this
on as a personal task at some point though it would still
take a long time to be widely supported.

Best regards,