[OSGeo-Discuss] Training and certification

Tyler Mitchell tmitchell at osgeo.org
Thu Jun 9 12:38:19 PDT 2011

In the recent OSGeo survey (http://bit.ly/surveyresultsraw) several ideas for diversifying OSGeo income were presented. The one that received the highest number of votes (62% 104/167 votes) was:

"Set up a professional training and certification program".

Yes, it was a question short on details, but it was chosen a full 15% above all other items.  Now's the time to figure out what we all meant ;-)

There are at least three approaches that might be considered here:

1. To lead training courses that may also come with a certificate or be part of a larger program. (e.g. for users, developers, integrators to gain personal knowledge and show it off, maybe in a GISP style?)
2. To give an organisation a stamp of approval, that their skills or staff meet some standard
3. To technically certify a product or application -  (e.g. as a sort of endorsement that the technology meets some OSGeo standard)

I've got a few more ideas kicking around in my head, but was curious on your thoughts.  Keep in mind the context of the survey question was for helping raise funds - that would primarily be through either course fees, or through certification fees - a company would pay to be assessed and to be able to use the endorsement on an annual basis (or something similar).  Or some other way maybe?

Anyone else thinking about this or want to weigh-in on what their thoughts were?

Tyler