[OSGeo-Discuss] Command line tool for dissolving polygon boundaries

Dan Putler dan.putler at sauder.ubc.ca
Tue Mar 1 23:31:54 PST 2011

Hi Paolo,

Your point is well taken. What seem to be the best solutions involve
reading in a shapefile and then writing out a new one. I was starting to
lean toward either PostGIS or Spatialite by using a SQL script sourced
within the relevant cli shell since my guess was that they would scale
much better than any Python code I was likely to write. I think I could
automate things more with GRASS shell scripts than with SQL scripts
(there are over 3000 counties in the US). The geometry cleaning GRASS
does is a two edged sword, having all the benefits you indicate, but at
the cost of increased processing time. However, my guess is that the
benefits of the cleaning are worth the cost.

Thanks for your advise.

Dan