[OSGeo-Discuss] open-source project site construction

Robert Hollingsworth reh2 at prodigy.net
Thu Mar 3 08:54:27 PST 2011

Hello,
I'm giving a presentation at the GITA conference in
Grapevine TX in April, as part of the OSGEO track
there.  (Audience: electric/gas/water utilities,
telecommunications, etc.)

Subject of the talk: highlights of management of a
project as open-source, especially where that differs
from software development in the single-company,
closed-source model.

Although the audience is likely to be mostly consisting
of non-software developers, I'll be calling on these very
people to team up with each other and with in-house
and/or consulting software engineers -- across company
lines -- to launch, build, and maintain open-source
apps that address needs in their respective subject
areas.

I've got a fair amount of research to do to compile this
information -- what apps and file structures comprise a
viable project server, presenting all that through the
project web site, etc.

It has occurred to me that it would be useful to create
an "Open-Source Project Starter Kit," a file structure
consisting of the means to create and maintain a
project, with none of the actual content.  It's skeleton
website definition would simply point at the
unpopulated management components.

A quick google suggests there are tools out there
addressing some of this.  And there's Sourceforge, of
course.

But if OSGEO were to create such a kit, it could be
constructed so that the resulting projects match many of
the criteria for qualifying as OSGEO member projects
later.

Any ideas out there on the feasibility of something like
this, how to construct, etc.?  I know a starter kit such as
this would be most attractive to the GITA audience I'll
be speaking to if it as close as possible to being a
one-button operation.

Thanks,
Robert H.