[OSGeo-Discuss] Looking for map matching software

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Mon May 9 21:52:59 PDT 2011

On 5/9/2011 11:58 PM, Tyler Mitchell wrote:
> On 2011-05-09, at 8:36 PM, Stephen Woodbridge wrote:
>> Do we have any good map matching code around? I looking for something that does more than simple snapping of points to nearest segments. I have read tons of academic papers and played around with some simple algorithms in postGIS. I have the road network loaded in pgRouting.
>
> Are you looking for more than "just" conflation then?

Yes. The problem with just snapping points to the network, is that it
does not take into account the underlying topology of the network or the
fact that snapping to the nearest segment may not be the right choice 5
or 10 sample in the future. Thing about the problem of a long exit ramp
paralleling a highway. You may not be certain if you are on the highway
or the ramp until there is a significant deviation from your assumed
path and the future tracking of the GPS points.

My end result needs to be a valid and probably path that the vehicle
traveled. There will be potential errors with respect to the actual path
traveled, the the computed path needs to be reasonable, drivable with
respect to the underlying network topology.

Thanks,
   -Steve