[OSGeo-Discuss] use of GFOSS in regional/local governments

Arnie Shore shoreas at gmail.com
Mon May 23 09:49:17 PDT 2011

I don't know whether you consider Computer-Aided-Dispatch (CAD) under the
rubric of "GIS software", but our project, Tickets CAD, certainly does
integrate data with mapping/geo technology.  And it's free, and Open Source
predominantly,  See at www.ticketscad.org.

And it is being used in some public safety operations.  I will have to poll
our users for permission to provide site names.

Please understand the political ramifications of such usage:  An agency has
years of unsuccessfully requesting budget $ for the purchase of a commercial
CAD product, which they demonstrably need, and now - suddenly - a free one
surfaces.  Best is probably to do it quietly and avoid raised eyebrows and
questions.

(CAD may well be among the earliest examples of such integration.)

AS
Tickets CAD Project
Lead (the adjective, not the noun!) developer