[OSGeo-Discuss] What is North America?

Seven (aka Arnulf) seven at arnulf.us
Fri Nov 11 09:09:37 PST 2011

Dan,
thanks for the advice. To all Americanos, I apologize if my post was
disparaging anyone.

Just for the record: The same Wikipedia page says "...in Spanish it
simply identifies a foreigner, without any negative connotation."

Further down on the same Wiki page it says: "The term Gringo in Mexican
culture also refers to "Green Go", as visitors from the United States
are considered to be hasty, and are known to offer more money(American
dollars=Green) to get things done faster (Go)."

According to what friends in Peru told me another connotation is that
the "green" (referring to the US military clothing) should "go" home. I
just verified on http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gringo that this is a myth
somehow related to "la Batalla de El Álamo, Texas en 1836, los mexicanos
les gritaban Greens, go! (Verdes, váyanse)" which does not make sense
because the United States military at that time wore blue.

Again - no intention of disparaging anyone and I will simply refrain
from using the term in future.

Best regards,
Arnulf

PS:
Just another proof of how easy it is to insult folks by not knowing the
culture. I probably do this all the time without even knowing which is
why I appreciate when people give me a hint.