[OSGeo-Discuss] Mapnik (GPX) vs MapServer/GeoServer (OGC)

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Nov 17 16:02:07 PST 2011

On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 3:38 PM, Frans Thamura <frans at meruvian.org> wrote:
> hi all
> just wanna a little discussion around OSM's server, called mapnik.
> 1. why dont we bring mapnik to OSGeo.

Frans,

It is really up to projects to come to OSGeo if they are
interested in formally being OSGeo projects.  Certainly
I would love to see Mapnik as an OSGeo project.

In any event, Mapnik developers (/me shouts out to Dane
Springmeyer) have been very actively involved in FOSS4G
events like the performance benchmarking efforts and code
sprints, and already operate on the principles of FOSS4G.

I am pleased to have the level of cooperation and camaraderie
we already have with Mapnik whether it is formally an OSGeo
project or not.

Best regards,