[OSGeo-Discuss] Confusion in the FOSS4G brand [was Mapnik (GPX) vs MapServer/GeoServer (OGC)] [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Bruce Bannerman B.Bannerman at bom.gov.au
Thu Nov 17 21:13:00 PST 2011

I don't like the idea of having multiple variants to the FOSS4G name.

I believe that it weakens and detracts from the value of FOSS4G as **the** international event that brings open source spatial people together in a 'gathering of the tribes'.

As a former organiser of FOSS4G-2009, if I was faced with the opportunity to again host the prestigious FOSS4G event, as things stand at present I would not get involved. This is due to the weakening of the brand and confusion in the marketplace. For example, do I go to FOSS4G, FOSS4G.AU, FOSS4G.US, FOSS4G.UK, FOSS4G.ID etc etc? What is the difference between them?

We have colleagues who are trying to organise FOSS4G-2012. All of this discussion is making their job much, much harder than it needs to be.

Lets get behind them and support their hard work. It is certainly not easy to organise such an event and takes considerable effort and devotion.

By all means hold regional events. These are very important for spreading information.

But please let's find a different name.

Bruce Bannerman