[OSGeo-Discuss] FOSSGIS German ... FOSS4G

Seven (aka Arnulf) seven at arnulf.us
Fri Nov 18 05:04:55 PST 2011

Frans,
in Germany this has worked fine and if the respective communities in
Indonesia want to collaborate this will be just fine. You can use the
name FOSS4G for local events if you follow the general guidelines [1].

On a global scale organizing these events has to take many other factors
into account which makes it a lot more difficult to join efforts.
"According to the Surveying and Mapping Law of the People's Republic of
China, private surveying and mapping activities are illegal in mainland
China." [1] could make an OSM conference in China a bit tricky.

Cheers,
Arnulf

[1] http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G#Using_the_Name_FOSS4G
[2] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/WikiProject_China#Legality