[OSGeo-Discuss] Charter Member Nomination: Stephen Woodbridge

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Mon Nov 21 17:00:23 PST 2011

Hi All,

Many thanks to Dan Putler and Daniel Kastl for their nomination of me.

I have been passionately involved in programming and algorithms since I
was 14 when I took a summer course in Fortran II at Swathmore College.
Yes, I am that old! :) I have been involved in development as a
programmer, manager, QA manager, project manager, marketing manager, but
10 years ago I got tired of corporate life and went back to programming
and consulting on my own. At that time, I wrote my own prototype
mapserver and then I ran into Mapserver. I decide it made more sense
work with it and found the world of OpenSource. From mapserver, I have
spread into working with many of the OSGeo projects and many of the not
yet big enough for incubation projects.

I am on the PSC for Mapserver, PAGC, and pgRouting and actively involved
with using other projects like mod_geocache (now mapcache), OpenLayers,
PostGIS, and GDAL/OGR. I also have been a Google Summer of Code Mentor
for the last three years for pgRouting projects. I try to bring a few
things to each of the communities that I interact with:

1. I try to help users by answering questions and being constructive,
with the intent that if I can answer it then that frees up the more
important staff to focus on programing and other project activities.

2. My many years of corporate life taught me much about the software
development process and more importantly that projects have products and
users and we need to think about them when we make decisions in a
project. I try to be a user advocate.

3. As a user of these projects, I am constantly trying to make them
better and easier to use. So I report bugs, encourage others to report
bugs, recommend enhancements, provide use cases, and occasionally
provide patches, answer other use questions, etc.

I am passionate about all the products I use, I advocate them to my
clients and recommend they fund development projects when they have
needs. I like to share my enthusiasm and ideas with others.

The bottom line for me is that I would be honored to be elected as a
charter member, but regardless of that, I enjoy doing what I'm doing, I
love solving problems and helping our community grow. I am interested in
being able to do more for OSGeo.

We have a great slate of candidates and I know many of them and they
would all be great additions to the OSGeo ranks in my opinion.

Thank you and best regards,
   -Steve Woodbridge