[OSGeo-Discuss] CoApp: Open Source on Windows by Microsoft

Mateusz Łoskot mateusz at loskot.net
Tue Nov 22 16:53:24 PST 2011

Folks,

I'm forwarding a not-so-old video in which Garrett Serack from Microsoft
explains an interesting project at Microsoft from yet an interesting angle:

http://channel9.msdn.com/Blogs/Charles/Garrett-Serack-Open-Source-on-Windows-and-the-CoApp-Project

I've just discovered the CoApp project, so perhaps it's a known thing here.
>From what I have figured out by reading blogs, and articles about
CoApp, it handles package management
for Software Developers and Users. Packages are installed at a system
level, intending to be shared
between applications without limiting their scope to a single project
at a time (sounds like
Linux /usr and /usr/local filesystems).
It offers update service that allows all packages on the system to be
kept up to date, etc.
CoApp is also being developed for use by C/C++ applications, .NET,
Python, PHP, Perl, etc.

I think it may be interesting to initiatives like OSGeo4W here.

CoApp recently moved to GitHub. Here is a quick overview with
instruction of use:
http://fearthecowboy.com/2011/04/26/weve-moved-coapp-code-hosting-to-github/

Best regards,
Member of ACCU, http://accu.org