[OSGeo-Discuss] Re: RE : Distracting discussions of discussing [was:] What is, North America?

Dimitris Kotzinos kotzino at csd.uoc.gr
Fri Nov 25 02:30:21 PST 2011

Hi all,

now that the issue on the North America chapter is settled and
explained, what about forming an European chapter in order to also
promote inside-EU (especially but not only) cooperation and policies for
Open Source and Open Standards in Geographic Information?
This would also help people from smaller countries to participate in the
OSGEO movement and probably provide some possibilities to apply for
funding at the EU level.

Although I know that there are already probably enough organizations,
the way I see things evolving this would probably be much helpful.
Moreover for me it seems that if we will be organizing major events like
a North America conference it would become increasingly difficult to be
able to keep supporting an annual global event like the current FOSS4G
conference. So an additional idea for consideration might be to have a
bi-annual global event and in the meantime regional events.
Of course this will not bring the global community closer.

If there is enough interest to work towards an European Chapter I would
be happy to contribute.

Best regards,

Dimitris Kotzinos