[OSGeo-Discuss] re: question

David Percy percyd at pdx.edu
Tue Nov 29 15:27:46 PST 2011

Our local open source gis (PDX-OSGEO) group partners with a regional
conference (GIS in Action) each year to supply an open source "track"
in the program. The last two years we've hosted a "open source GIS
desktop smackdown", which is quite popular and fun.
The last two years gvSig and Quantum have each won one year.

gvSig + Sextante pretty much looks like it will do anything! get the
Oxford Archaeology version...

Quantum is great, it has tons of plugins, and ties into GRASS. I like
the interface a lot, and I've used it for teaching for four years. If
you have windows, get the OSGEO4WIN installer and it will set it up
all nice for you

--
David Percy ("Percy")
-Geospatial Data Manager