[OSGeo-Discuss] re: question

José Antonio Canalejo Alonso jacanalejo at yahoo.es
Wed Nov 30 00:50:34 PST 2011

Hello David,
take a look at www.gvsigce.org. gvSIG CE is a community driven Open Source GIS project based on a version of gvSIG OADE bundled with SEXTANTE, GRASS GIS and SAGA. gvSIG CE will be develop with English as the only project language, for a more international community.
A technical preview of the upcoming gvSIG Community Edition 1.0 is available for download here:
http://gvsigce.sourceforge.net/joomla/index.php/download
That is a zero-install distribution. Simply unpack it somewhere on your harddisk and start it.
To install Grass GIS and SAGA in the technical preview follow this instructions:
http://gvsigce.sourceforge.net/forums/viewforum.php?f=3&sid=14d8af342c35d83db614e800542a61f9
Markus, I'll try to update this link http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/GRASS_and_Sextante Developers of Sextante and gvSIG OADE made a great work to make easier the use of Grass GIS and SAGA with Sextante in gvSIG CE.
Best regards!
Jose

--
José Antonio Canalejo Alonso
gvSIG CE Team

>On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 12:27 AM, David Percy <percyd at pdx.edu> wrote:
> Our local open source gis (PDX-OSGEO) group partners
with a regional
> conference (GIS in Action) each year to supply
an open source "track"
> in the program. The last two years we've
hosted a "open source GIS
> desktop smackdown", which is quite
popular and fun.
> The last two years gvSig and Quantum have each
won one year.

> gvSig + Sextante pretty much looks like it
 will do anything! get the
> Oxford Archaeology version...

 Quantum is great, it has tons of plugins, and ties into GRASS. I like

 the interface a lot, and I've used it for teaching for four years.

>You
 can of course also combine