[OSGeo-Discuss] Random Forest Classification

Dan Putler dan.putler at sauder.ubc.ca
Wed Oct 26 00:06:01 PDT 2011

Hi Mohammed,

This seems to be an R topic rather than an OSGeo topic. The R-Geo
mailing list is probably the best choice (look at the mailing list page
on the http://www.r-project.org site). Random forest models can be used
with data acquired by remote sensing, but the method is really aspatial
in nature (the ability to deal with any autocorrelation, including
spatial autocorrelation, is pretty limited in decision tree based
methods, and random trees are an ensemble of decision trees, which
create a "forest"). At this point, I'd do some more homework on decision
trees (also commonly called classification and regression trees, or
CART, models) so you have a better sense of the underlying concepts, and
then hit the R-Geo mailing list if you have additional questions.

Dan