[OSGeo-Discuss] Re: Defining an OSGeo Ambassador role

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Sat Apr 21 20:35:50 PDT 2012

Hi All,

I think there are lots of ways to be an "Ambassador". The issue is that
different people have different skills and comfort levels in how they
approach the role. For example, I am comfortable "pushing" OSGeo
projects that I work with and recommending that clients use them and
discuss the benefits of them. These are all tools that I am familiar
with and can help my clients use. If they have needs outside my
expertise, I am happy to suggest they look at other OSGeo projects if
they seem to fit the clients needs. I discuss OpenSource and the value
of them contributing to projects if they need additional feature. I'm
also on various PSC's which gives the client a feeling that they have
access directly to the project through me.

In my mind this is being an "Ambassador", but there are other ways to be
an "Ambassador". Some people are great at making presentation and
standing in front of an audience like at FOSS4G, other are more
comfortable in a one-on-one situation.

I think one thing that would help is to identify the key messages that
we, OSGeo, would like to get across to people when we talk about OSGeo.
Key messages are like the 5 key points that we would like to be
consistently mentioned by everyone when talking about OSGeo. These are
simple easy to remember sentences. These could/should be used in every
presentation, where formal or informal. It is the repetition of these
messages that helps to establish a brand/mental image of OSGeo and
reinforces it through hearing it via multiple communication channels and
people. It takes repetition and consistency for people to hear and
remember and believe a message.

-Steve