[OSGeo-Discuss] [CrisisMappers] Re: Who's interested in collaboration & project management tools? And...

Miles Fidelman mfidelman at meetinghouse.net
Sun Aug 5 15:49:21 PDT 2012

Hi Lee,

Lee Sanders wrote:
> Greeting Miles:
>
> First, I lived in Newton for a few years. Went to BC.  Small World.
Yes it is :-)

> I have been involved in project management for several years prior to
> returning to school and new vocation in GIS.  As a result, I thought I
> would offer some comments.
>
> 1. *_Know your audience._*  - You are talking about organization and
> simplicity however, when I arrived at the page and clicked the video,
> the presentation is extremely cluttered with the graphics and
> different fonts, bulleted  and non-bulleted points overlayed on more
> graphics.  Take a look at the page the begins with "Pages that chat w/
> each other"
<snip>

Thank you very much for your comments on the video and kickstarter pages
- I'm slowly updating the page as comments come in.

But... that doesn't quite address the more fundamental problem I'm
having - figuring out where to find people who are interested in project
management tools, and motivating folks to come take a look at the
Kickstarter page.  Cleaning up the Kickstarter material won't help much
if nobody is coming to look at it.  (I'm actually getting positive as
well as negative comments about the page, and 5% strikes me as a
reasonable "take rate" - if I had 10s of thousands of people visiting
the page, instead of what looks like under a 1000).

Hence, my core questions come back to:
- where do I find people who, like you, "have been involved in project
management for several years"
- what really will motivate someone to go that next step and click through

Re.

> The question:  Who is your target market.  Choose and then carve your
> message accordingly. You've got orchestras and singers mixed in with
> military.  Those audiences are different.  Additionally, you should
> eliminate the military.  To have software applications used by the
> military requires a different process of marketing and approval for
> security reasons.  And you would have to go through the bid process
> and be approved as a vendor with a background check etc etc.

Actually, I've spent a good part of my career working on military
projects, and this project stems from some work on tools for mission
planning and coordination that seem to have applicability for crisis
management and more general project management.

Best,

Miles