[OSGeo-Discuss] Mathematics of Planet Earth 2013

Barry Rowlingson b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Tue Aug 14 10:23:24 PDT 2012

Is anyone at the upper echelons of OSGeo aware of MPE2013?

http://mpe2013.org

"""
The mission of the MPE project is to:

* Encourage research in identifying and solving fundamental questions
about planet earth
* Encourage educators at all levels to communicate the issues related
to planet earth
* Inform the public about the essential role of the mathematical
sciences in facing the challenges to our planet
"""

One point in one of the newsletters caught my eye:

"""
MPE2013 received the patronage of UNESCO. This includes, in
particular, the international launching of the Mathematics of Planet
Earth Open Source Exhibition foreseen to take place in the beginning
of 2013. UNESCO had been approached on behalf of the International
Union through the Canadian and French Commissions at UNESCO. In
particular, MPE2013 will work in partnership with UNESCO for the
promotion of the MPE exhibition.
"""

Is this on the OSGeo radar?

[Next year is also the International Year Of Statistics 2013 (plus or
minus a few months)]

Barry