[OSGeo-Discuss] ESRI getting more serious about open source?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Aug 29 18:48:55 PDT 2012

On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 6:23 PM, Ned Horning <nedh at lightlink.com> wrote:
> Hi - A colleague on the Society for Sonservation GIS list shared a link to
> this blog "Esri and Open Source Software: More Please" at
> http://blogs.esri.com/esri/arcgis/2012/08/27/esri-and-open-source-software-more-please/
>
> I'm not sure what to think about it but on the surface it seems like a good
> thing. Is OSGeo involved with this initiative in any way? If not is there
> any interest in having OSGeo play an active role in the opening of ESRI
> code? I'm curious what other folks think of this.

Ned,

My initial assumption is that the code released as
open source would primarily be built on top of ArcGIS
and that this is little more than a "samples directory".
However, rereading the announcement there is hope
for more particularly given the involvement of the folks
formally of GeoIQ.

I am not aware of any interest on ESRI's side to be involved
with OSGeo on this.  I'm inclined to just let things develop,
but if anyone with contacts with the folks at the DC dev
center would like to chat with them, perhaps we will see more
concrete opportunities.

Something to keep an eye on at least.

Best regards,