[OSGeo-Discuss] Functional Testing of GIS applications (Automated Testing)

AbSharma kingpin1888 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 20:12:37 PST 2012

Hello,

I'm developing a GIS application using GeoServer, Openlayers, and SQL Server
at the back-end. I tried to look for resources to write Automated Tests for
functional testing of the application. I will describe an example scenario:

We have a time filtering feature that shows data on the base-map as the the
values provided from the client-side. How can I write an automated test to
ensure that the functionality is working correctly?

There are some examples provided by Eggplant for automated GUI testing, but
tests seem too fragile.
Are there any tools or frameworks that can help me write tests on all three
levels: Openlayers, GeoServer and Database.

I'm already using Test Another Way for OpenLayers, but the support seems to
be very limited since a lot of features require to be tested visually.

I'm quite concerned because I was not able to find a lot of resources about
Functional Testing of GIS applications, every one seems to focus on
Performance Testing or Bench-marking.

Is the community overlooking functional testing?