[OSGeo-Discuss] (PDF Geotagging) Re: Fwd: Discuss Digest, Vol 61, Issue 16

Jo Walsh jo.walsh at ed.ac.uk
Thu Jan 19 04:12:52 PST 2012

hello OSGeoids!

> Thank you very much, I will try your API as soon as possible. Is there
> a way to have access to the source code behind your web service ? Or
> isn't it open source ?
>
> El 2012-01-17 12:11, James Reid escribió:
>>  You could check out our Unlock Text service at:
>>
>>  http://unlock.edina.ac.uk/texts/introduction

James nudged me in the direction of this thread.

The Edinburgh Geoparser is open source *in principle* (GPL).
In the short term the best way to get hold of a copy is to email Claire
Grover ( grover at inf.ed.ac.uk ) of the Language Technology Group, for a
distribution which includes both source and binaries.

Bootstrapping issue; more work is needed on packaging and documentation.
But project based funding means effort goes into new features &
improvements rather than maintaining the core.

What would *help* is a trickle of people knocking on our door and
crucially *offering feedback* on how easy/hard the Geoparser was to get
running, and where doc/install improvements would be most helpful.

The door is ajar and now is a good time to give it a push, as LTG are
migrating to a new cleaned up subversion repository. I would love to see
LTG to bring the project to OSGeo Labs, they are researchers and the
software is more of a side-effect than a product.

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.