[OSGeo-Discuss] The importance of a project's license

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Fri Jul 27 05:33:09 PDT 2012

On 27 July 2012 11:47, Markus Neteler <neteler at osgeo.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 12:45 PM, Mateusz Loskot <mateusz at loskot.net> wrote:
>> On 27 July 2012 05:55, Alex Mandel <tech_dev at wildintellect.com> wrote:
>>> This is a really interesting debate. Reading the links provided it also
>>> appears to be a mixed bag about acceptance of LGPL of various firms and
>>> I'm also sure many of us can name firms that have no issue shipping LGPL
>>> components.
>>
>> GPL is dying, of natural causes.
>>
>> http://ostatic.com/blog/the-top-licenses-on-github
>
> Perhaps but do you think that github is representative?

I don't think a representative analysis is even possible in
case of software licensing preferences.

Unlike SourceForge, GitHub is a young platform and it's gaining popularity
among FOSS hackers rapidly. So, guided by simple assumption it is
very likely that a developer will choose GitHub for his new FOSS project,
I'm quite convinced these statistics show the current trend, the trend
of newly established FOSS projects regarding licensing preferences.

Certainly, you can't ignore sample of 2 million public repositories***
and 1 million users at GitHub.

*** It does not mean there are 2m distinct projects, of course.

Best regards,