[OSGeo-Discuss] The importance of a project's license

Mr. Puneet Kishor punk.kish at gmail.com
Fri Jul 27 07:46:45 PDT 2012

On Jul 27, 2012, at 10:27 AM, "Seven (aka Arnulf)" <seven at arnulf.us> wrote:

> On 07/27/2012 11:45 AM, Mateusz Loskot wrote:
>> On 27 July 2012 05:55, Alex Mandel <tech_dev at wildintellect.com> wrote:
>>> This is a really interesting debate. Reading the links provided it also
>>> appears to be a mixed bag about acceptance of LGPL of various firms and
>>> I'm also sure many of us can name firms that have no issue shipping LGPL
>>> components.
>>
>> GPL is dying, of natural causes.
>>
>> http://ostatic.com/blog/the-top-licenses-on-github
>>
>> Best regards,
>
> (I don't think that GPL is dying, it is still 70% on SourceForge last
> time I checked)
> ..

would also be interesting to rearrange that chart by --

- SLOC. Would 200 projects of 5 SLOC each under license "A" vs. one project of 1000 SLOC under license "B" considered some kind of marker?

- adoption. Would 200 projects under license "A" adopted by a total of 500 implementations vs. one project under license "B" adopted by 500,000 folks portend some other kind of trend?

Yes, an interesting and worthwhile conversation.

--
Puneet Kishor